I though this video by Interact Media did a great job of explaining content marketing. While it is a promotional video for the company, it does provide students with a good understanding of content marketing.
- Based on the video, what is content marketing?
- How can a company or brand use content marketing?
- After watching the video, what do you think are two keys to using content marketing?
I recently watched several YouTube videos about push/pull marketing and realized there is a misconception of this concept. This video by Professor Richardson will help your students understand this important marketing concept.
- Explain the process of push marketing for a new product, such as a new brand of hair shampoo.
- Explain the process of pull marketing for a new product, such as a new brand of hair shampoo.
- What media and marketing techniques can you use to pull a new brand of hair shampoo through the marketing channel?
This video highlights six factors that influence consumer pricing of products. It is an excellent overview that can be used to summarize Chapter 11 content, or to even launch the chapter.
- Identify and describe each of the 6 factors.
- Think about the company where you work, or one that you have worked for in the past. Rank these factors in order from most important to least important in pricing the goods or services of that company. Explain your ranking rationale.
Posted in Chapter11
Produced by Entrepreneur, this video answers the question on how to market a small service business. The video can be a good lead into Chapter 9, or used as a summary at the end. As you watch the video, identify the key points.
- Do you agree or disagree that content marketing is an effective means of marketing a small service business? Why or why not?
- How important is social media involvement for a small service business? Explain why.
- Why is it dangerous to provide a huge price discount?
Carnival Cruise has introduced a new advertising campaign focused on the idea of having fun. These videos would be a great way to introduce the concepts outlined in Chapter 1.
- What are your thoughts on this advertising campaign for Carnival?
- Which ad did you like the best? Why?
- How does “having fun” fit into the concepts of needs, wants, and demands?
- Which marketing philosophy is Carnival using? Explain why.
Here is an article from GeoMarketing about marketing to Millennials. Since most of your students are millennials, this should be interesting.
- Do you agree that most millennials are ad averse and use ad blockers? Why or why not?
- Do you think it is important for brands to build a relationship with millennials? Why or why not?
- Are your purchases affected by brand influencers? Why or why not?
- The last premise in the article is creating great brand content. How important is this to you, in terms of engaging with a brand?
This ad for JP Morgan Chase could be used to illustrate some of the concepts of Chapter 9, Services Marketing. I believe the ad will help students think a little deeper about the unique characteristics of services.
- After watching the ad, which of the four characteristics of services (intangibility, perishability, inseparability, and variability) does the ad seek to minimize? Why?
- Examine the various forms of risk. Which purchase risks does this ad seek to minimize? Why?
- Do you think this is an effective ad for Chase? Why or why not?