Chapter 8 explains the concept of a “product” and strategies that are used to promote a product. These videos deal with the three levels of a product and then product packaging.
- Explain the three levels of a product, shown in the first video. For each level, provide an illustration used in the video and how it explains that level.
- Suggest an illustration of each level of a product that is not in the video or the textbook. Explain how it illustrates the particular concept level.
- What is the difference between a product’s attributes (or features) and benefits? Explain the concept using an example from the video and an example of your own not in the video.
- From the second video, identify the five functions of packaging.
- Describe the process John used in creating a package design for a hair spray.
- What legal and mandatory information was required for the package label?
- Watch the third video. Pick three package designs you think are really creative. Describe why you think each is unique and innovative.
The marketing research process is important if a researcher wants to obtain meaningful information. The first video covers the marketing research process. The second video identifies potential mistakes in marketing research.
- Identify the steps in the marketing research process.
- Think about marketing research by a dine-in restaurant. Go through each of the steps and explain the step in terms of marketing research for a dine-in restaurant. Be specific.
- From the second video, identify the mistakes to avoid in marketing research.
- For each mistake, identify how the dine-in restaurant could make that mistake and then discuss how the mistake can be avoided.
Marketing research is a deep topic and for most marketing programs it is either a one-semester or even a two-semester course. I found these videos a good resources to supplement the information in the textbook.
- Based on the first video, what is marketing research and what are the goals of marketing research?
- Based on the first video, what is the purpose of marketing research?
- Based on the first video, what are the two types of marketing research? What factors determine which technique is used?
- What uses are cited in the first video for marketing research?
- Watch the Steve Jobs video. Based on his comments, when can marketing research be used and when is it not valuable?
- Based on the third video, what are the differences between qualitative and qualitative research? Provide two examples of each not provided in the video.
Here are some videos that may be useful for Chapter 11.
- Identify the pricing strategies presented in the first video. Describe each and discuss when it should be used.
- Based on the second video, what are the 5 C’s of pricing and how does each impact the pricing of a product?
- Watch the video about the Clockmaker. What lesson does this video convey? Identify three different industries or situations were value pricing could or is used. Explain why.
Posted in Chapter11
While distribution and logistics are not the most exciting marketing topics you can discuss, both are important functions. These videos can be used to supplement the information in the textbook.
- Based on the first video, describe the three primary methods of distribution.
- According to the first video, what three factors control which type of distribution channel is used? Why is each factor important?
- Do the activity suggested at the end of video supporting your decision for each of the products.
- Describe the logistics function provided by American Global Logistics (2nd video).
- Why is it important for American Global to integrate all of their services for clients?
- Watch the video about the distribution center for Tractor Supply. Identify the 3 most important points made by the video.
Mobile marketing continues to grow faster than most other forms of marketing. Here are some videos that you can use to supplement the information in the textbook.
- Based on the first video, what is mobile marketing? Identify the various forms of mobile marketing.
- Why is the mobile experience an important component of mobile marketing?
- From the “Best Practices for Mobile Marketing Campaigns” video, what are the four best practices to engage your customers with mobile? Explain why each of these best practices are important.
- According to the “Best Practices” video, what are the four categories of consumers? Which group describes you the best? Explain why.
- Based on the third video, what mistake do many businesses make with mobile marketing?
- Based on the third video, what are the four pillars of mobile marketing? Why are these pillars important? Explain how these concepts are used in mobile marketing.