The millennial generation is an important generation and understanding their consumer behavior characteristics is important to marketers. This video can be used to launch a discussion of consumer behavior or as an assignment for your students.
Video – Millennials: Changing Consumer Behavior
- Why are marketers interested in understanding the millennial generation?
- As you watch the video, write down consumer behavior characteristics of millennials that are highlighted.
- From a marketing perspective, which of the characteristics identified in Question 2 is the most important? Why?
I found this video intriguing for Chapter 3 because one of the criticisms of marketing is it creates a materialistic attitude. This video can be used to launch a discussion about materialism and ethical issues in marketing.
The High Price of Materialism Video
- Do you agree with one of the video’s premises that materialism causes a higher level of unhappiness and dysfunctional behaviors such as depression? Why or why not?
- What impact does materialism have on pro-social values? Why?
- What impact does materialism have on attitudes towards the environment? Why?
- What changes does the video suggest for reducing materialistic attitude? Do you agree or disagree with these approaches? Why or why not?
Kohl’s is launching the “Official Oscar Challenge” on Facebook designed to attract younger consumers to the game, and then to the store. Kohl’s, like other department stores, is having a difficult time attracting younger consumers. Based on your knowledge of the microenvironment for Kohl’s, can this campaign succeed?
- Describe the image you have of Kohl’s.
- Do you think being an official sponsor of the Oscars matches the image of Kohl’s? Why or why not?
- How successful do you think this campaign will be in attracting younger females to the store?
- What are your thoughts about the TV ad? Did you like it? Why or why not?
I thought this video was a great way to introduce the concept of marketing and can be used during the first class period. I would suggest you first ask students to identify what marketing is to them and write the various answers on a blackboard. Then watch this video “What is Marketing” featuring Spiderman as a prop. The video was produced by a group of students, but is very good!
- What activities or concepts did the video present about marketing?
- After watching the video, how would you describe marketing?
- What brand sticks out in your mind as having the best marketing? Why?
Posted in Chapter01
If you are thinking about how to kick off your spring marketing course, you may want to use this article about Doritos consumer-generated Super Bowl ad and the 3 finalists. If you do this before the Super Bowl, you can see how well your class predicts the winner.
- Which of the three consumer-generated ads do you like the best? Why?
- What do you think of Doritos using consumers to generate Super Bowl ad ideas?
- How important is advertising in the Super Bowl?
- What types of Super Bowl ads do you prefer? Why?