Here is an article from GeoMarketing about marketing to Millennials. Since most of your students are millennials, this should be interesting.
- Do you agree that most millennials are ad averse and use ad blockers? Why or why not?
- Do you think it is important for brands to build a relationship with millennials? Why or why not?
- Are your purchases affected by brand influencers? Why or why not?
- The last premise in the article is creating great brand content. How important is this to you, in terms of engaging with a brand?
This ad for JP Morgan Chase could be used to illustrate some of the concepts of Chapter 9, Services Marketing. I believe the ad will help students think a little deeper about the unique characteristics of services.
- After watching the ad, which of the four characteristics of services (intangibility, perishability, inseparability, and variability) does the ad seek to minimize? Why?
- Examine the various forms of risk. Which purchase risks does this ad seek to minimize? Why?
- Do you think this is an effective ad for Chase? Why or why not?
I believe students will relate to this video on value-based pricing. While costs are important in setting a price, so it understanding the value of that product to buyers.
- According to the video, how do customers perceive value?
- How can you increase the perceived value of a product?
- After watching the video, what role does demand and competition play in setting the price?
In sales and marketing to businesses, perceived risk is an important element to consider. This video explains five types of perceived risk that must be considered.
- What is monetary risk and how can it be reduced for a potential customer?
- What is functional risk and what steps can the seller take to reduce it?
- What is physical risk and why is it important?
- What is social risk and why is it important?
- What is psychological risk and how can it be reduced for a potential customer?
I thought this video would work well with Chapter 10. It provides an insight into how grocery stores design the store layout to maximize profits.
- Why are high volume merchandise items placed around the perimeter of a store?
- What lessons can you learn from the cereal aisle that applies to retail stores in general?
- What is the purpose of endcaps?
- What are power items and where are they placed? Why?
- What types of items are placed near the checkout? Why?
Posted in Chapter10