Kohl’s is launching the “Official Oscar Challenge” on Facebook designed to attract younger consumers to the game, and then to the store. Kohl’s, like other department stores, is having a difficult time attracting younger consumers. Based on your knowledge of the microenvironment for Kohl’s, can this campaign succeed?
- Describe the image you have of Kohl’s.
- Do you think being an official sponsor of the Oscars matches the image of Kohl’s? Why or why not?
- How successful do you think this campaign will be in attracting younger females to the store?
- What are your thoughts about the TV ad? Did you like it? Why or why not?
I found this Business Insider article about Abercrombie & Fitch interesting and think it would fit well with chapter 2 under the “sociodemographic” topic. Because of declining sales with teens, Abercrombie & Fitch is changing its focus in an attempt to reach a broader audience.
- After reading the article, what are your thoughts about the move to reach a broader audience? Will it work? Why or why not?
- Do you agree with the statements that teens are spending more money on food than clothes and are more concerned about having a new mobile phone than brand name clothes? Why or why not?
- Looking at the Generations presented in the textbook, which age group do you think is the primary target for Abercrombie & Fitch? Why?
- Do you shop at Abercrombie & Fitch? Why or why not?
Trendwatching.com is a website that monitors trends across the world. You may want to subscribe to this service so you have the latest trends to relate to your class. You can also ask students to access this website and then answer the following questions.
Discussion Questions and Exercises:
- Provide a summary of the services provided by Trendwatching.com.
- How can this website be used by companies in developing marketing programs?
- Why would this website offer free information?
- Relate the content of this chapter to the information provided in Chapter 2.
- Which element of the macroenvironment would this website fit? Why?
Here are some videos that you can use for Chapter 2. There are more than one video for some of the topics. This allows you to pick the one that fits best with your teaching style and content emphasis. You may also want to post the link for students to review the concepts.