Here is an article from GeoMarketing about marketing to Millennials. Since most of your students are millennials, this should be interesting.
- Do you agree that most millennials are ad averse and use ad blockers? Why or why not?
- Do you think it is important for brands to build a relationship with millennials? Why or why not?
- Are your purchases affected by brand influencers? Why or why not?
- The last premise in the article is creating great brand content. How important is this to you, in terms of engaging with a brand?
Harley-Davidson has spent decades marketing its motorcycles to youth, but in the last decade they have tried also reach the loyal baby boomer. Can Harley-Davidson target both boomers and millennials at the same time?
- Before reading the article, what is your image of Harley-Davidson? Describe who you think rides Harley-Davidson motorcycles?
- After reading the article, do you think Harley-Davidson can reach both boomers and millennials? Why or why not?
- Watch the two ads. Do you think the ads are targeted to boomers, millennials, or both? Explain.
- Using the information in the textbook, which positioning strategy do you think Harley-Davidson is using in the two TV ads? Justify your answer.
Here is a great ad for Tyson Chicken Nuggets that you can use for Chapter 6, Marketing Segmentation.
- Describe who you think is the target market for this Tyson ad?
- Is Tyson using any of the behavioral segmentation strategies presented in the chapter? If not, explain why. If yes, which one? Explain why.
- Which of the six product positioning strategies is Tyson using in this ad? Justify your answer.
- What do you think of this ad? Do you like the strategy of using kids talking about what they hate? Why or why not?
An important market segment for brands is the millennials. Penry Price, Vice-President of Global Sales Marketing Solutions, LinkedIn, wrote an interesting article.
Millennial Consumers Article
- How are millennials different from other market segments? Provide specific examples.
- Create two lists – one that identifies things millennials like about advertising/marketing and one that identifies things millennials do not like about advertising/marketing.
- Do you agree or disagree with the thoughts presented in the article by Mr. Price? Explain.
Spike Lee was inducted into the Advertising Hall of Fame in 2015. I found this article in Advertising Age very interesting as well as his interview.
- Do you agree with Spike Lee that general advertising has not been effective in reaching black consumers? Why or why not?
- Where have advertisers succeeded in reaching black consumers? Be specific.
- Where have advertisers failed in reaching black consumers? Be specific.
- In your opinion, what changes do advertisers need to make to reach black consumers?
- Do you think advertisers have been effective in reaching other minority groups, such as Hispanics and Asians? Why or why not?
Here are some videos you may be able to use for Chapter 6. The first three are all on segmentation. You can pick the one that best fits your teaching.