This video by Jason Richea provides good information about brand strategy and would be excellent for a class lecture, or to use as a review assignment.
- According to the video, what is a brand?
- Identify the elements of an effective brand name.
- What are the elements of an effective logo?
- What are the elements of an effective slogan, or tagline?
- Identify the five brand strategies presented in the video. Describe the characteristics of each. Discuss how each could be used to develop a successful brand.
I found this article in Entrepreneur interesting. It short, but should make students think about the importance of quality products in a social media age.
- How important is product (or service) quality?
- Discuss from your personal experience a company(or brand) that has produced high quality. Did you share anything about the brand on social media? If so, what? If not, why not?
- Make a list of the major points of this article.
- After reading this article, would you agree or disagree with the points made? Explain.
- How important is a mobile-friendly website for a small business?
Starbucks and Panera Bread now are making Pumpkin Spice Latte with real pumpkin, according to this article in Advertising Age. Starbucks made this change after hearing from customers and partners about the artificial ingredients.
- How important are ingredients to you, in drinks such as the pumpkin spice latte?
- Is it important for companies to respond to customers in this manner? Why or why not?
- Discuss the concepts of core product, expected product, and augmented product in terms of pumpkin spice lattes.
- How would you classify this product? Explain why.
I thought this video was good at explaining the basic concept of the BCG matrix.
- Identify each of the four quadrants in terms of market share and market growth rate.
- Describe the characteristics of each quadrant. Identify an example that is not discussed in the video or in the textbook for each quadrant. Explain why you think your examples fit into the designated quadrants.
- Why is it important to consider profit margins in evaluating products in each of the quadrants?
- Why is it important to utilize other tools for evaluating the product portfolio of a business?
This video provides a good overview of the product life cycle concept.
- What are the four stages of the product life cycle? Do all products go through these four stages? Why or why not?
- For each of the stages of the product life cycle discuss the characteristics and users of the product.
- Discuss the concepts of push and pull strategies for each of the stages and how each are used.
- Which is the most critical stage of the PLC? Why?
These two videos provide a good review of the new product diffusion process and the various categories of adopters.
- List the categories of the product diffusion curve.
- As you watch the first video, identify characteristics of each group of adopters.
- As you watch the second video, add to your list the characteristics mentioned for each category.
- Based on the second video, why is it important to know the characteristics of each diffusion segment?
- From the second video, discuss what factors determine the speed of adoption of a new product.
Brands are all around us and influence our purchase behavior. Here are some videos that can be used in a discussion about branding.
- According to the first video, what is a brand? How do people form an image of a brand?
- Based on the first video, what tools can a company use to build a positive, strong brand?
- Why are experiences with a brand more important that communications about a brand?
- According to the 2nd video, what is the secret of a strong brand? Explain why this is important.
- Explain the concept of branding in terms of Starbucks.
- According to the 2nd video, how do you develop a strong brand?
- From the third video, list the 10 brands that failed. Why did each fail? What common ingredient do you see in these failures?
Posted in Chapter08