Produced by Entrepreneur, this video answers the question on how to market a small service business. The video can be a good lead into Chapter 9, or used as a summary at the end. As you watch the video, identify the key points.
- Do you agree or disagree that content marketing is an effective means of marketing a small service business? Why or why not?
- How important is social media involvement for a small service business? Explain why.
- Why is it dangerous to provide a huge price discount?
This ad for JP Morgan Chase could be used to illustrate some of the concepts of Chapter 9, Services Marketing. I believe the ad will help students think a little deeper about the unique characteristics of services.
- After watching the ad, which of the four characteristics of services (intangibility, perishability, inseparability, and variability) does the ad seek to minimize? Why?
- Examine the various forms of risk. Which purchase risks does this ad seek to minimize? Why?
- Do you think this is an effective ad for Chase? Why or why not?
I found this video presents a good overview of services marketing, how it is unique, and how marketers can address the challenges.
- Identify each of the challenges posed by services presented in the video.
- For each of the challenges presented, discuss how it impacts the marketing of a service.
- For each of the challenges presented, discuss methods marketers can use to overcome the challenge.
This video talks about the four service characteristics in terms of marketing golf lessons. It provides a good overview of each characteristic and applying it to the golf lessons will help to understand the concepts.
- Define each of the four service characteristics.
- Discuss the implications each service characteristic in terms of golf lessons.
- Describe what can be done to minimize the negative impact of each characteristic.
- Pick a service industry other than golf lessons. Go through each of the four characteristics. What are the implications for the service you identified. How can the service minimize the negative impact of the characteristic?
Posted in Chapter09
Liberty Mutual Insurance has developed an interesting campaign for car insurance. Watch these ads then answer the questions below.
- Discuss where you think car insurance would be on the continuum of pure good to pure service. Justify your answer.
- What are your thoughts about these ads? Do you like them or dislike them? Why?
- What do you think of the dialogue approach used?
- Who do you think is the target audience for these ads? Justify your answer.
- What are your thoughts about the better car replacement and accident forgiveness policies of Liberty Mutual? Both of these cost extra and have to be added to your p0licy. Do you think the ad makes this clear? Why or why not?
- Examine the various types of risks discussed in the chapter. Which risk or risks do these ads address? Explain.