I thought this video would work well with Chapter 10. It provides an insight into how grocery stores design the store layout to maximize profits.
- Why are high volume merchandise items placed around the perimeter of a store?
- What lessons can you learn from the cereal aisle that applies to retail stores in general?
- What is the purpose of endcaps?
- What are power items and where are they placed? Why?
- What types of items are placed near the checkout? Why?
Posted in Chapter10
This video explains the basic concept of logistics in terms of bottled water. It would be an excellent video to introduce the topic.
- Briefly describe the concept of logistics in terms of the raw materials to create a bottle of water and then in getting that water to consumers.
- Why is logistics important?
Posted in Chapter10
This article in Adweek would be great for a discussion about retailing and the potential role of advertising.
- After reading the article, do you think advertising can save Sears Holding (Sears, Kmart)? Why or why not?
- Do you think advertising agencies should be hesitant about pitching for the Sears Holding account? Why or why not?
- How important is advertising to a retail store?
- What role do you think advertising can have in retailing?
While distribution and logistics are not the most exciting marketing topics you can discuss, both are important functions. These videos can be used to supplement the information in the textbook.
- Based on the first video, describe the three primary methods of distribution.
- According to the first video, what three factors control which type of distribution channel is used? Why is each factor important?
- Do the activity suggested at the end of video supporting your decision for each of the products.
- Describe the logistics function provided by American Global Logistics (2nd video).
- Why is it important for American Global to integrate all of their services for clients?
- Watch the video about the distribution center for Tractor Supply. Identify the 3 most important points made by the video.