I recently watched several YouTube videos about push/pull marketing and realized there is a misconception of this concept. This video by Professor Richardson will help your students understand this important marketing concept.
- Explain the process of push marketing for a new product, such as a new brand of hair shampoo.
- Explain the process of pull marketing for a new product, such as a new brand of hair shampoo.
- What media and marketing techniques can you use to pull a new brand of hair shampoo through the marketing channel?
I found this musical video great for reviewing the AIDA model. It was composed by some college students, but done well.
- Describe each of the four steps in the AIDA model.
- Why is the AIDA model important in advertising?
- Discuss each of the steps as it would apply to advertising a local hamburger and pizza restaurant.
- Did you like the way the students presented the AIDA model using music? Why or why not?
Posted in Chapter12
Advertising agency BBH Asia Pacific produced this video ad for the grand opening of an Ikea store in Malaysia. It is a great illustration of the music appeal.
- What are your thoughts about this ad and the music that was used?
- Is the ad effective in grabbing your attention? Why or why not? Does the ad hold your attention? Why or why not?
- Look through the various forms of advertising discussed in Section 12.6. Which type of advertising do you think the video ad illustrates? Why?
- Look at the various communication objectives in Section 12-5. What do you think is the objective of this ad? Why?
I found this article in MediaLife interesting and thought it would be great to introduce Chapter 12 and the entire section on marketing communications. We keep hearing people do not like ads, block ads, and do not trust ads, yet this survey shows just the opposite. Before you show your class the chart in the article you may want to ask them if they trust advertising and which forms of advertising they trust and don’t trust.
- Did you find the results of this survey surprising? Why or why not?
- Why do you think traditional media has a higher level of trust than online advertising?
- Why do you think the highest level of trust is with Millennials?
DraftKings and FanDuel have spent a combined $31 million on 9,000 TV commercials in just one week. Is this too much? Is it an overload or good idea?
- After reading the article, do you think spending so much money in a one-week advertising blitz was a good idea? Why or why not?
- Is it a wise strategy for these two brands to have ads on the same sports’ shows? Why or why not?
- With over 70% hating these ads, did the blitz create a negative brand impression? Why or why not?
- If you get annoyed at seeing an ad too much, does it impact your image of the brand? Does it impact you purchasing the brand? Why or why not?
Here are some videos that you can use with Chapter 12.
- Based on the first video, what is integrated marketing communications and why is it important?
- Describe how Tom’s Tours used integrated marketing.
- Do you think integrated marketing is more important for a small business than a large, well-known brand? Why or why not?
- From the second video, identify the major differences between marketing to businesses and consumers. Discuss how each is different.
- Watch the third video and identify examples cited in the video of each stage. Identify one additional example of each stage not mentioned in the video. Justify your examples.