I though this video by Interact Media did a great job of explaining content marketing. While it is a promotional video for the company, it does provide students with a good understanding of content marketing.
- Based on the video, what is content marketing?
- How can a company or brand use content marketing?
- After watching the video, what do you think are two keys to using content marketing?
An effective digital marketing strategy used by brands is behavioral targeting. This video produced by IAB explains who behavioral targeting works and why it is successful.
- Based on the video, what is behavioral targeting and how does it work?
- What types of information is collected with behavioral targeting?
- Do you think behavioral targeting is an invasion of privacy? Why or why not?
- Give an example of behavioral targeting from your personal experience. Provide a screen shot of your computer screen that shows a behavioral ad.
I thought this video on the “6 essential elements for a successful digital marketing strategy” would be good to use with Chapter 13. While it could be used at the beginning of the chapter, I think it would fit better after you have lectured on the chapter as a review, or even an assignment.
- According to the video, what are the 6 essential elements of a successful digital marketing strategy?
- Assume you have been asked to help develop a digital marketing strategy for a local boutique clothing store that focuses on fashions for the 18-30 year old. Go through each of the 6 essential elements presented in the video discussing them in relation to the fashion boutique. Explain how each step can be implemented and why it is important.
Although I listed this article for Chapter 13, it would fit well with Chapter 4 (Consumer Behavior). The article discusses what the various colors on an e-commerce site signify and the types of customers that it would attract.
- Make a list of the colors discussed in the article and beside each color write down what that color means.
- For each color, identify one product or service not mentioned in the article that you think would fit.
- Go to 2 different e-commerce sites. What color(s) did they use? Look at the meaning of these colors from the article. Do you think the colors chosen matches well with the site and the type of customers they want to attract? Why or why not?
This article from the Washington Post should generate a lively class discussion.
- Would you agree that the Internet is slowly killing TV advertising? Why or why not?
- Why is television viewing down, especially cable TV?
- What makes digital consumption attractive among young consumers? What makes it attractive to older consumers?